Sunday, November 3, 2013

It's fall. And, you know what fall means.

Apples.  Pumpkins.  Cinnamon.  Caramel.  Repeat.

If there is a recipe for happiness, that is it.  The other day, I was telling my mom that I have about 30 fall dessert recipes that I want to try.  She laughed politely in a tone that insinuated that might be slightly excessive.  However, by the end of the conversation, I had convinced her that not only was this perfectly reasonable -- because one has to take advantage of fall baking season as much as possible -- but also that we should try a new pie recipe for Thanksgiving this year.  Usually, my mother is the one advocating for new recipes, and I am the adamant traditionalist.  However, when I came across the recipe below, I new it was time for a new tradition:

And, of course, we are making the "twice as nice" version, because you can never have too much whipped cream, no matter what anyone tells you.  **If you would like the PDF of the recipe, let me know.

As long as we are talking about pumpkin, here is a recent pumpkin cookie recipe I tried.  I skipped the glaze but added white chocolate chips, which were a big hit at Bible study and the office.  

Pumpkin Cookies from Food Network Mag 2013 Thanksgiving issue:

Beat 6 TBSP softened butter and 1 1/2 C sugar with mixer (or get a workout with a good, old-fashioned wooden spoon ;) ) until fluffy; beat in 1 C pumpkin, 1 egg, and 1 TSP vanilla.  Whisk 2 C flour, 1 TSP each baking soda and cinnamon, and 1/2 TSP salt; stir into the pumpkin mixture.  Drop by spoonfuls onto oiled baking sheets (or use parchment paper, like I do), and bake at 400* for 12 MIN.  Cool and glaze with, 1/2 C powdered sugar + 1 TBSP milk whisked together (if I were making the glaze, I would use a little pure maple syrup, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment