Friday, May 3, 2013

Try the Chai


I finally hopped on the chai tea bandwagon a few months ago. I like it hot or cold, but unfortunately, like with most tea, I only like it sugared up and diluted with milk in latte form. Despite my need for sweetener, I find most coffee shop chai lattes to be too sweet by themselves. So I always order a dirty chai—one shot of espresso (regular if I don’t mind being overcaffeinated, decaf if I’m feeling responsible) balances out the sugar.

When I saw this chai concentrate recipe from Rebecca of Foodie with Family, I thought I’d give it a try because I am all about making store-bought things at home. Also, I wondered if it would be good without having to add espresso, since I don’t have easy means of making that.

The perfect day to boil up the concentrate came along on April 22, when the great outdoors looked like this:
Yes, that is the beginning of 6 inches of snowfall we received April 22.
But the day I made this it was April 27, and the high was 70, so the time is right to try the chai. Instead of heating milk and making it warm, I went the chilled route. Both the concentrate and milk I added were straight from the fridge, so no ice for me. (Note the sneak peek for next post.)
Added bonus: my yummy 8-ounce chai cost me about $0.45. A nice $2+ savings for me for not succumbing to the Starbucks siren song. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment