Saturday, September 14, 2013

Toasting Roasting

By now, you have probably noticed that I love roasted vegetables.  They're simple, quick, and tasty -- the perfect choice for entertaining or cooking dinner after work.  My favorite combination = garnet sweet potatoes + yellow peppers + onions -- which you will notice in one of my photos -- but a variety of veggies can be used, including carrots and cauliflower.  In fact, Roasted Cauliflower Pepper Salad is a new roasted vegetable recipe that I recently tried.  Usually, I just mix the veggies in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and stick them in the oven on a foiled baking pan, for 30-40 minutes, at 375*.  As you can see, paired with this salad is a plain chicken breast, pan-seared in olive oil, salt, & pepper -- another easy, low carb meal that is good for you and your budget.  The next night, I used a leftover chicken breast and the remaining roasted salad and made a quick stir fry in a bit of olive oil and a few seasonings.  Again, quick, simple, and good.

Another wonderfully simple recipe I have been loving lately is what I have so cleverly dubbed Simple Salsa.  Combine chopped tomatoes + onions in a bowl, reserving a half a tomato and a handful of chopped onion.  Puree the reserved veggies with a few splashes of white wine vinegar, a de-seeded hatch chile pepper (or spicy pepper of your choice), and a clove of garlic.  Add puree to the bowl of veggies and blend with a potato masher, pastry cutter, or just a spoon.  I am still experimenting with salsas, but like this one because it goes well with chips or by itself as a side salad.  If anyone has good salsa recipes to share, please do!  I am in particular search of a good recipe for tomatillo salsa...


No comments:

Post a Comment