Thursday, September 12, 2013

Hey, ya'll.

Greetings from the Great Southwest!  Even in my online absence, I have been thinking of you and on the lookout for some great local recipes to share.  Haven't come across anything yet, however, I am hoping to make a trip up to Prescott to pick what Food Network claims are the best peaches in the country (eek!) -- pies, cobblers, jams, oh my!

Until that glorious time, however, I will share a handful of the recipes I have made when I have had time to cook.  I have been doing a lot more "clean" eating lately and trying to figure out ways to do so on a small budget while still enjoying cooking.  If you have any creative ideas of your own, please feel free to share!  In this vein, a lot of the dishes featured on my Instagram feed are very simple combinations of veggies and meats -- different ways, different seasonings -- simple combinations of good foods that are good for you.   Most of the descriptions give you an idea of what is in these recipes, however, if you have any questions or want to swap ideas, let me know!

You will notice a particularly wonderful photo of some lovely dishes that I recently purchased for my new kitchen.  Organic. White. West Elm.  Need I say more?  Actually, the only thing that I probably would have needed to say was "West Elm."  It is quite a wonderful place, isn't it?  If you haven't been there, you should go.  Trust me.

Right by that photo, you will find a little collage of tomatoes, and you might be wondering why.  Well, first of all, they are beautiful -- heirloom tomatoes are one of my little summer joys.  These were particularly stunning, and I just had to share them with you.  I also wanted to share my de-juicing technique, which may leave you even a little more confused and worried about my sanity.  Yes, I know tomatoes are juicy.  It's just that, sometimes, it's a little too much. And, let's be real, no matter how hard one tries, it is impossible to keep tomato juice from running off the cutting board.

So, after halving and coring a tomato, you have two options: squeeze the halves over the sink (which is the quickest route but will definitely mangle the flesh) or scoop the insides out (kind of like a cantaloupe - you can either take the solid middle "pillar" with them or scoop around it).  I de-juice my tomatoes for almost all recipes, especially when the liquid content is crucial. This is also an easy way to replace cherry tomatoes in a recipe, without worrying about the tomatoes make a salad, etc. soggy.

All right, gotta run -- but don't worry, I will be back sooner rather than later this time.  Until then, slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment