Monday, November 26, 2012

Tradition

My mom and I cooked the entire traditional Thanksgiving in and on my cute little 3/4-size stove. Traditional for us means a 14-lb. turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade rolls, winter squash risotto, and pumpkin and apple pie.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This year I bought a bag of whole cranberries to make my own sauce. I've never enjoyed cranberry sauce, but I guess there is something about making it yourself that makes it worth trying.
 
 
 
 
Cranberry Sauce
adapted from Sam Sifton via Serious Eats
 
 1 softball-size orange
12 oz. bag whole cranberries
3/4 c. sugar
 
Zest the orange into a small bowl and set aside. Pour the bag of cranberries into a 2-quart saucepan. Slice the zested orange in half and juice each half straight into the pan. Add the sugar to the pan, stir, and cook over medium-high heat until the cranberries start to pop and crack their skins. It won't seem very gelled at this stage. Cook for 5 minutes or until most of the cranberries no longer hold their shape. Stir in the orange zest. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Cover and let cool, then transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Makes approximately 2 cups. Original recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment