Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It's Not Like We Just Had a Pie Holiday or Anything

I've been wanting to make slab pie ever since I saw this. Since I had a round of dough in the fridge that was only enough for one pie crust and didn't want to make an open-faced pie, this is what happened last night. And finally, the frosted-over block of Summer 2011 raspberries is no longer in my freezer.
 
 
Rhubarb-Raspberry Slab Pie
(Filling inspiration here)
 
1 lb. rhubarb, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
1/2 lb. small raspberries (about 1–2 cups)
1 cup + 2 TBSP (250 grams) dark brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of fresh grated ginger (I used less than 1/8 teaspoon)
One half recipe pie dough (I always use this)
1/8 cup heavy cream
 
Place fruit in a large saucepan. Since my fruit was frozen, I allowed it to soften and melt slightly over low heat before proceeding. Add sugar, vanilla, and ginger. Bring to a simmer over medium-low and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Increase the temperature to medium and simmer an additional 20–30 minutes, or until your spoon leaves a trail in the bottom of the pan. Let cool.
 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Divide the half-recipe of dough into two equal pieces and roll each piece into a 10x14-inch rectangle. Lay one crust in the bottom of the quarter sheet pan and spread the rhubarb-raspberry filling over the crust. (I reserved 1/2 cup filling to use as jam for future sandwiches and pieces of toast.) Place the other crust on top and pull the edges of the bottom crust over the top. Pinch to seal. Prick the top of the crust all over with a fork or knife. Brush with 1/8 cup of heavy cream. Bake for 30–40 minutes, or until the crust is brown and filling is bubbly.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment