Monday, November 26, 2012

Learning to Love Leftovers

Growing up, my mom always made enough food to feed ten children, but she only had one.  She would shake her head at the overflowing pot of pasta and say, "Well, the good thing is that we will have leftovers!" I never understood her enthusiasm until I grew up and had to cook for myself...every day.  Don't get me wrong, I love to cook. Clearly.  

However, there are some days when I just don't feel like dragging out all the pots and pans when I get home.  Over the past few years, I have developed a fairly sophisticated system of cooking that allows me to try new recipes that will produce wonderful leftovers for a number of days.  This is one reason why I particularly love winter cooking.  Winter + cooking = soup!  My personal favorite genre is chili, but stews are right up there as well...

Anyway, I have several new winter wonderfuls to share with you, but we will start off with this one, from a recent issue of Food Network Magazine.



Yes, yes, I know that this photo is less than tantalizing. The lighting in my kitchen is...well, sad. This meal, however, as perfect for a chilly November evening.  Last weekend I had friends for dinner and made enough chili to freeze for this week.  I have finally grown up and learned to love leftovers.  When I got home from work, I whipped up a recipe of Paula Deen's Skillet Cornbread (p. 274,Southern Cooking Bible) with a few of my own edits due to the current situation in my cupboards.  

(Recently, I have been experimenting with using coconut oil in place of other cooking/baking fats - it works well and is so much healthier!)

Kileen's Cupboard Cornbread

1/4 C coconut oil (or other cooking fat)
2 eggs
1/2 C plain yogurt
1/2 C milk (you could use 1 C buttermilk to sub for yogurt+milk)
1 C cornmeal
1 C white whole wheat flour
1 TSP baking soda
1 TSP salt

Melt coconut oil (an easy way is to heat jar in a pot with 1/2 IN of water til enough is melted).  In the meantime, whisk together yogurt and milk, then eggs in large bowl.  Pour flour on top, cornmeal, baking soda, salt.  Mix together slightly before folding in to milk mixture.  When combined, add coconut oil. Mix well, pour into 9x9 pan (if you're like me and haven't reached the skillet stage of life yet) - make sure pan is greased!  (I like to use a bit of the melted coconut oil.)  It is light yet has a good texture.  I am looking forward to leftover cornbread for breakfast :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment