Monday, December 10, 2012

The Gruyere Affair

If you haven't met the delectable, buttery, savory cheese known as Gruyere, you better get yourself to the nearest dairy section as soon as possible.  You will thank me.  For best pricing, I advise shopping a traditional grocery store, versus a Super Target-type establishment, or a co-op.  My love for G was recently rekindled when my mother and I made the Pioneer Woman's Turnip Gratin - starring Mr. G - for Thanksgiving: 
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/turnip-gratin/


Ta Da!  Isn't it lovely?

The reason I am posting this recipe today, is that I just made this for dinner tonight.  In fact, here it is - still bubbly!  Mine looks a bit different because I had cream to use up so I used a little more than the recipe called for.  Also, I made a little root vegetable harmony by substituting half of the turnips for a small rutabaga and five small red potatoes.  (If you choose to follow this variation, I recommend cooking for 30-40 min, rather than the PW's 20.  Also, you might have noticed this is not in a skillet - a 9x13 Pyrex worked just as well.  Just melt the butter separately and pour into the Pyrex.)



Also on the menu tonight...venison!  I am sure this strikes fear into many of your hearts, however, it's probably because you have not had venison prepared the correct way - from the actual skinning process through the cooking process.  My father is an avid hunter and excellent sportsman - his venison is never "gamey."



I was so focused on the gratin (or the Gruyere...) that I hadn't bothered to decide how to prepare the venison.  It was pre-cut into stir-fry sized pieces, so I just heated a some olive oil in a pan with salt, cayenne, basil, and garlic powder.  They had a little party and invited the venison to join in.  Mmmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment